How To Register A Death
WHEN THE DEATH OCCURS AT HOME OR IN A NURSING HOME
- Call the Emergency Services or the Registered Doctor, if the Doctor attends they may write out the Medical Cause of Death Certificate when He/She visits the House or Nursing Home, or may request you attend the Doctors surgery for this purpose. If only the Emergency Services are in attendance then they will ask for you to attend the doctors surgery the following day.
- Call the Funeral Director, they will make the necessary arrangements to collect the deceased. The Funeral Directors will need the following information: Name of deceased, Address, Age, Registered Doctor, Name and contact phone number for the next of kin.
- Collect Cause of Death Certificate from Hospital or Doctor when ready (usually the following day).
- Make appointment at Registrars in the district where the death occurred to register the Death once you have the Cause of Death Certificate.
WHEN THE DEATH OCCURS IN HOSPITAL
- Apply to the hospital for the Medical Cause of Death Certificate and not your family doctor.
- Call the Registrars to make an appointment to register the Death.
- Call the Funeral Directors to make an appointment to arrange the Funeral.
IF THE CORONER IS TO BE INVOLVED
In cases where the death has been reported to the Coroner the procedure is somewhat different.
- The Coroner and His/Her officers are working in your interest. No doctor will issue a Medical Cause of Death Certificate. This Will be sent by the Coroner to the Registrar’s Office in the district where the death occurred. You will be informed by the Coroner when you can make an appointment to register the death.
- Call the Funeral Directors to make an appointment to arrange the Funeral and tell them the Coroner is involved.
HOW TO REGISTER A DEATH – a death MUST be registered within 5 days
Who can Register
- Close Relative of the Deceased
- Relative in attendance during last illness
- A relative living in the district where death occurred
- A person present at death
- The person causing the disposal
- Medical Cause of Death Certificate
- Medical Card if available
- Birth Certificate & information regarding date of birth
- Marriage Certificate if applicable
Information required to Register
- Cause of Death Certificate from Hospital or Doctor
- Full name of Deceased (Maiden name if applicable)
- Date and Place of Death
- Date and Place of Birth
- Occupation and home address
- If married, full name, occupation and date of birth of surviving spouse
The Registrars will give you:
A Green Certificate – this must be handed to the Funeral Director so that the funeral can take place.
Please contact Dean Harper Funeral Directors for any further assistance on 01922 638855 24 hours a day.